There is this advertisement, banner, post or billboard at the entrance of a restaurant that stimulate your glands and makes you salivate. It could be the photo of super grilled chicken, or very refined tantalising fruits and vegetable. Why does it make you feel like stopping and making a turn, right inside just to have a bite?
There is also that painting at the exhibition house downtown that makes you feel like it is the only fine piece of art to complete your living room. Why should somebody pick a specific type of magazine from a heap or pile of different magazines? It could be the headline, the colour, the wordings or rather simply because of the outstanding features on that magazine.
What then is graphic design?
Graphic design is simply the artistic application of different tools and elements that bring out outstanding and unique visual products that communicate a message. These elements and visuals are made up of different themes.
Elements of orpiv graphic design;
- Texture that represents the depth of a creation and determines whether it is tangible or not.
- Type which basically refers to spacing and font that are generally directive.
- The shapes that create balance.
- Lines that define the layout of a design.
- Software such as Photoshop and illustrator that creates room for enhancement, addition and subtraction to a piece of work.
- Computers are instrumental in creativity through the application of computer graphics and programming.
- Sketchpads that contain rough ideas of what a design should look like. These are surfaces on which graphic designers sketch ideas that come to mind.
The forms of writing used have aesthetic value that makes writing appealing. These are;
- Calligraphy on clothes such as on t shirts and caps.
- Magazine headlines, photos
- Publishing materials.
- Striking posters.
- Enticing movie tickets.